Monday, 5 October 2009

Run for the Cure 2009

Yesterday was the CIBC Run for the Cure. It is something that I and my wonderful team of family and friends (Team Jennifer Soup) have done the last three years since I was first diagnosed with breast cancer. In those three years, my team has raised over $70,000!!! I am so humbled and touched by the generosity of all of those around us. Without them, this would not have been possible. Even given the cold, snowy weather, 95% of my team came out to the run and braved the cold (I am sure it helped that my parents had arranged a brunch for everyone afterwards).
Carla, Marcus, Paige and Jaden, all decked out in their pink gear. I really think the kids are really digging the costumes:)

My Aunt Toni brought along her nieces, Brooke and Taylor. Their pink attire was so awesome that they got their picture in the Calgary Herald!!

A small portion of the 40+ people, on my team, who came out for the run. I am in awe that they would do this for me and for the cause. As one of my cousins said while freezing in the cold; ‘Jennifer, do you see how much we love you?’ It brought tears to my eyes. To see all of that support and all of those fantastic people in the pink survivor t-shirts, it gives me inspiration and the hope that if they can beat this thing, then I can too!

Ricot and I. I think pink really suits him. The look on his face says it all!
I just loved this pic of Sadie. Her eyes look so blue...

Max and the girls. He pushed them both in the chariot for the whole 5k and in the lovely pink wig. We lost them at the start line but they ended up catching up with us around the 4k mark and we all finished together.
The amazing home owners along the run route deserve a huge thank you. They decorate their yards, the street and are standing there in the cold clapping and cheering for us as we run by. It just goes to show that we do not fight this fight alone. (I would have taken a picture but I was too busy running and chatting on the phone while trying to find Max. Hopefully Astrid will post some of the ones she took.)

Don, Stephen, Jeannie and Greg. I think they look way too comfortable in the cold weather...

Stephen, Nadine and Evan. They were waiting just before the finish line to cheer me on. Thanks for the wonderful support and cheering!
Being a survivor totally has its advantages. There is a Survivor's Tent that is heated, full of blankets, hot drinks and massage therapists giving foot massages! If I didn't have to leave Max and the girls in the cold and snow, I would so have gone for one of the massages, maybe next year?

Astrid, Shauna and I. I worked with both of these ladies at ConocoPhillips and the three of us ended up running the whole 5k together. It was awesome and great fun to chat with them along the way!

I think Max looks like he should be a biker only he needs white hair, not pink:)

Sadie and Sophia rode in the chariot together and had a ball. I also think that they kept each other warm. They were both so excited to finish and have the cover open so they could catch snowflakes.
Our sleeping beauty. We had to wake Sophia up at 7:30 so that we would be down south in time to meet the rest of the team. Well, between the early morning and playing so hard with the other kids at brunch, she literally fell asleep at dinner. Max gave her a bite of dinner and she just fell asleep, at 6:15. She woke up briefly as I put her pjs on and went back to sleep until 7:30 the next morning! Wow, wouldn't I love to sleep like that again:)
It was again a wonderful turn out. Almost everyone that did the run, plus some extras went back to my parents place for brunch. As usual, it was awesome! Thanks to my parents for hosting, Max for his yummy crepes, Rick and Rite for helping clean and to everyone for coming out on such a cold day! It really is something to be a part of this and to do it with the support from you all, there aren't words to describe it. Thanks again and hopefully we will see you all out there next year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you and team Jennifer Soup Jen! Lyle and i did not make it this year but will join you all next year!

Jeannie Morkin said...

Jen, you are an inspiration to me (and of course my boys) because you have the true spirit of life. You live in the moment, take the good with the bad, and never give up. You fight the hard battles with honesty, integrity, and of course the Morkin stubborness! So thank you Jen, Max and Sophia for your true familiy spirt and showing all of us your strength, and passion for life.

Love Jeannie, Don, David, Stephen & Greg