Tuesday, 13 October 2009

Calaway Park

A few weeks ago, Kristen and I took the kids down to Calaway Park. Hard to believe it was only a few weeks ago as it was such a hot, hot day and today is just so cold. It happened that Dora was there so Kristen waited in line, with Gaby, for about an hour and a half so that Alex and Sophia could meet Dora.
I took them on a couple of rides to help burn some energy and excitement about seeing Dora. The two of them get along so well and were happy to take turns being the driver or the one sitting in front on the rides.
I think Alex had a perma grin on his face the whole time. Both kids spent most of the summer with older cousins and older kids so they were just so happy to be doing things that they like to do and with someone their own age.

Sophia does not seem to be afraid of any rides. As soon as she got on the train, up went her arms and there they stayed. Really, it wasn't a fast moving train, but great enthusiasm. I think they rode this one about 6 times in a row! (Max and Ricot came by after a golf game and it made for a great spot to meet up since I just stood there shuffling them from the exit, right back to the entrance).
Ah, Dora...I am not sure if I would do that again and stand in line for so long. As soon as Sophia saw how big Dora is, she wanted to run. Me, being such a caring Mom, told her we waited all this time just for her to see Dora and my goodness she was going to get her picture taken with Dora, whether she liked it or not! So I ended up with both kids, Dora and Diego. Sophia wouldn't let go of my neck until we were safely outside...

Then the roller coaster. I think this was the favorite ride of both of them. Again, as soon as Sophia sat down, her arms went up and there they stayed. Alex was really cute and looked like he was protecting her a few times. I can't wait until she is big enough and we can go on the big coaster or maybe take her to a couple of coaster parks. We had the pleasure of visiting Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio and it was fabulous...maybe one day...(we had a great time there, ask my sister or my Mom about the Magnum. I think my Mom came off that one deaf in one ear from Lindsay's screaming and totally bruised where Lin held onto Mom's arm, the rest of us really enjoyed it though, especially the Lindsay imitations from John afterwards!)
I got dizzy watching this one. I don't know how I used to be able to do the spinney ones, pretty sure I couldn't do them now.

Motorcycling the day away! I love how Sophia put her hat on! She totally has her own style (but I must admit it is way better than mine was at her age, at least she matches).

I think Sophia was explaining to Alex how the steering wheel worked. Sophia is such an inquisitive child (really though, aren't most 3 year olds) and in the car it can get a little difficult. She will ask the same question over and over until she gets an answer that is acceptable. Sometimes, I will throw out the full on technical answer to her question. She then ponders it a bit, nods, agrees and then waits a while to ask another question. I think she does remember most of the crazy answers even though she may not understand them...

The bumper cars are the funniest to watch. Most of the kids don't know what they are doing and get stuck more often than they are driving. I don't think they care much that they aren't moving but it seemed the most difficult for the Dad's who were all along the side and yelling instructions at the kids for what to do. Great, a preview of what it will be like when they learn how to drive...

Ricot in multitask mode. Walk, talk and hold hands!! Three things at once, that is a big deal for a dude!
On the way home, Sophia posing as usual. Too bad the weather is so crummy as it would have been nice to go again. Maybe next year, I'll get a seasons pass as there will be so many more rides that she can go on. Thanks again for the fun day guys, we all had a great time:)

No comments: