Friday, 27 February 2009

Dashing Dishes

Last night my parents, Lindsay and I decided to try Dashing Dishes. It was lots of fun.

The idea is that you go and put together all the ingredients for 8 or 12 meals. Everything is laid out in front of you at each station with really simple instructions to put together. For hygiene reasons we had to wear a bandanna and a plastic apron, stylish...

It was funny to watch my Dad. The labels on the measuring cups were mostly worn off so it was really hard to see. For cooks who aren't used to measuring, maybe the instructions were a little difficult?:):)

For the most part, there was less than 10 items to add to a bag. You mix them up and label them with the cooking instructions, take them home and freeze them. Since we haven't tried any yet (we have no space and our new freezer is in the garage not yet plugged in), I am not too sure how they will taste but they sure looked good!

Lindsay, of course was making fun of us and if there was anything you were doing differently she was the first to point it out to you. She laughed even harder when I spilled my fully made bag of black bean quesadilla mix (it said to seal bag and mix well, I mixed too well and spilled it over the table and floor). They nice ladies working there came over and cleaned it up for me but I sure felt like an idiot:)

Each month there is a different 12 menu items to choose from. Considering it was $175 for 8 meals, the cost was quite low and there was no cutting involved. It seems like an interesting and relatively inexpensive way of trying new 'home-cooked' meals.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen Max and Sophia from Australia. sorry it has taken so long to find your site again to write but we swapped ocmputers and Aunt jo resent the link just recentley.

dashing Dishes looks like a lot of fun. good to see Brian getting down and dirty in the kitchen. where was Pat?

all's well here as far as I know which isn't saying a lot will have to learn how to get photos from camera to computer so you can see what we are about also.

I spoke to Aunt Jo using skype and that was a blast.

regards to Brian, Pat, Lindsay Tyson and sadie also. I missed how sadie came to be in a cast!

Take care and will try to be more consistant.

John tracey brad nathan jarad jamie brodie brianna and little one