Before our yummy dinner at the Crab House, Lori, Mark, Max and I went for a cruise to
Alcatraz. It was interesting.

A view looking back towards San Francisco. It is quite something to see this place from the water, it gives such a different perspective.

The island, all by itself. Really, I can't imagine ever being so isolated.

The guards and their families actually lived on the island too. There was a school for the kids. I wonder what would happen during one of the escapes...

The docking area. From a distance it looks pretty confined and large but it was smaller than I expected and in quite the state of disrepair (the salt in the air and water have been really hard on this place which is what forced the closure of the prison).

The church at the top. I wonder how anyone was to concentrate on a service there unless the windows were all covered. The view of the city was amazing!

Max and I on our walk to the top where the actual prison was located.

The size of an average prison cell. They have kept a couple cells with the same 'furnishings' as would have been there when it was in use whereas the remainder were just falling apart. The toilets were broken, sinks missing and streaks of rust down the walls.

I think Max looks like a giant inside! I get shivers just thinking about being stuck inside something like that...maybe that is why I am such a law-abiding citizen:)

The left is the church perched atop the island. What a view! I am sure that psychologically seeing that view and hearing the noises would have been hard on the inmates and was probably part of the punishment. On our drive out to
Napa we pass by the San Quentin which is where two of the inmates involved in the Battle of Alcatraz were executed.

The kitchen area. The knives all had black outlines so it would be known if a knife was missing or worn down too much.
I have had shivers while doing this entire post. The thought of what these guys were in here for and the thought of capital punishment is enough to make me want to puke so here is ends and onto something happier.
No comments:
Post a Comment