Sunday, 8 August 2010

Bye bye Grandma Elia

The night before my birthday, we got the phone call that my Grandma wasn't doing so well, (ironically earlier that day, Tyson's Grandma had passed away). She had been admitted to the hospital two days before and had gone downhill since being there. Lindsay, all the kids and I were at the cabin and the kids were down so we packed up the car to head home in the morning. I woke up at 3 am, wide awake from a dream that someone told me my Grandma had passed away. In the morning, when I phoned home to see how things were, we were told that Grandma had passed away around 2 am.

Grandma had been diagnosed two and a half years ago with colon cancer and the last while she was in a great deal of pain. She was brave and strong and she fought as hard as she could. She did her best to not let on with many of us how difficult things were. She told me once that she learned how to deal with this as classy as she did, by my example. It brought tears to my eyes as I believe that I am the strong, independent lady I am today because of my Grandma...This picture was when Sophia was two days old and Grandma was so excited and happy.

A week after Grandma's Memorial, Sophia and I flew to Kelowna. I had previously told Sophia that Grandma and Grandpa were up in heaven, somewhere where the clouds are and that they are always watching over us. Once we got up to clouds, Sophia asked if we might see Grandma Elia. I choked and almost cried but through that I told her to keep watching and if she saw Grandma to wave...
I know that I have another angel to watch over me and that was the most special birthday gift I could receive. We miss you Grandma and we love you but we are thankful that you are no longer suffering.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen Max Sophia I was having difficulty with the password stuff last I visited so I don't know if our condolences reached you on grandma Ella. I tried to get some sent to the funeral parlor but I haven't heard whether they reached your Dad. If you catch up with Tyson could pass on our regards to him also. John Tracey and family over in West Australia

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen Max Sophia I was having difficulty with the password stuff last I visited so I don't know if our condolences reached you on grandma Ella. I tried to get some sent to the funeral parlor but I haven't heard whether they reached your Dad. If you catch up with Tyson could pass on our regards to him also. John Tracey and family over in West Australia