Wednesday, 20 August 2008

Long Weekend at the Bacin

For the August long weekend, we went out to the cabin with our neighbors (yes, I meant to write bacin as that is what Sophia calls our cabin). We had a great time although the weather could have been a bit nicer.
Our first stop was the Corn Maze. The corn stalks are 9-10 feet high in most of the maze. Check out the link and you can see the picture that is the maze (http://www.lacombecornmaze.com/).
Anyone want to become a farmer?
The jumping pillow was awesome! Paige and Jaden had a great time on it but Sophia couldn't actually walk up it to jump. It looked like so much fun that I was tempted to go on.
Hiding in the maze.
If only Sophia could look over the stalks and point us in the right direction...
A view from the end of the maze. We started right at the tree line in the top of the picture. It's crazy because you get very disoriented when inside and suddenly you end up in the opposite direction of where you want to be. They have a series of questions set up at some intersections to help you along although some of the questions are really hard.
An awesome merry-go-round made up of used tires. Everything around here seemed to be recycled equipment and the creativity was great!
One of Sophia's favorites was the swing. I don't know how many times we kept going back to the swing. Her other favorite part was feeding the goats (check out the video at then end for that one).
Paige and Jaden racing down the giant slide. They also had a roller slide which I took Sophia down. It reminded me so much of the one at Old MacDonald's Farm in Kelowna except twice the height and man, was it fast.
Each day there are pig races. The kids really enjoyed it although Sophia was afraid at first. The announcer had some pretty good jokes too which kept the adults entertained.

Ah, the barrel tractor ride. We all decided to take a ride on the tractor before leaving. Each seat was a cut out barrel on wheels. It was fun but so dusty. Paige sat right behind the tractor and I think she had a few mouthfuls of dirt.
Overall a great place to take the kids for some out-of-the-ordinary adventure. Even Max and Marcus kept entertained with the pedal carts and hydraulic tomato/potato/pumpkin launching guns.
The next day was the Tees Rodeo. When I was young we used to go to this every year as my grandparent's farm was near this small hamlet and we just had a great time. There is a sandpit that has money hidden in it for the kids to dig for and you get up close and really personal with the animals and cowboys. This is part of the wild cow milking race. I think only two teams got any milk and the one only had a couple of drops! We stayed long enough to watch the bull riders which I think Sophia enjoyed the best as she kept yelling for more bulls:)
Our last day was the nicest so we had to hit the beach. I think that was the highlight of the trip for all of us. Jaden loved getting his legs buried under the sand and splashing me in the water.
Carla and Paige cooling off on their frogs.
Marcus, Jaden, Sophia and I building a maze of tunnels and bridges in the sand. I like that both Sophia and I can hardly see out of our hats!
You can hear Sophia saying "yum, yummy" as she is feeding the goats grass. I think she liked that they were small and she wasn't afraid of them.

1 comment:

Astrid said...

I had no idea the corn maze was so much more than just a corn maze!