Yesterday we headed to a circus 'Aquamarine: Circus of Dancing Fountains.' It was probably one of the most entertaining circus' that I have seen! There were the dancing fountains, acrobats, clowns, jump rope, tight rope walkers and more. What was even better was watching Sophia's reaction to most of them. She had a huge smile on her face the whole time and was so excited!
The highlight for her was either the cats or the monkeys. The cats were crazy! They climbed across ladders, jumped from chair to chair (about 6 ft), flipped around and juggled. The most astonishing part was that they juggled fire, like the Samoan Fire Dancers!!!! I think everyone's jaw dropped when the bar was lit on fire. Sophia just kept saying that Masyana (Sveta's cat), would love to have watched all the kitties!
The monkeys came out in the second half and they too were great! They each had a cute little outfit on, which Sophia thought was just so silly. One of them must have been a girl monkey as she had on a cute little dress that Sophia could not stop talking about. They too did jumps and flips around the stage and all but the littlest monkey were quite well behaved.
Of course the highlight of the night was watching Sophia try the acrobatics! When we first walked into the theatre, there were a bunch of kids on stage getting a chance to try flying across the stage. Two guys would strap them in, pull them back and spin them, while they were lifted to the roof of the theatre. The first 15 minutes of watching this, Sophia couldn't decide if she wanted to try or not, changing her mind every few minutes. We missed the ball there, but at intermission they pulled it out again and Sophia decided she was ready to give it a go.
This was the picture taken before the flight. I am impressed with the smile but there may have been some gritting of the teeth underneath it. She didn't really seem apprehensive, except maybe one point while we were waiting in line. When it came to her turn, she didn't hesitate and somehow managed to smile for most of her ride. I, on the other hand, was nervous that she was too young or too small or that she would get scared while at the top and there wouldn't be anything I could do about it.
This is the video that I managed to get, sweaty hands and all! You can see that she seems to be smiling, I am sure with gritted teeth again but she loved it!!!! Being that she was on the small side of most of the kids that were doing this, the chest strap ended up covering part of her face (you will see the guy pull it down at the end for the last picture). When she finished, she so proudly walked back to me and the others!!! I was so proud of her:)
This was the 'after' picture. You can see that even though the strap was pulled down some, it still covered her face quite a bit. They pose them this way (thankfully I learned that from watching them and was able to explain it to Sophia before she heard a whole bunch of Russian that she wouldn't understand). What I also think is crazy is the cost of this, the flight was about $7 and the two photos cost the same. Seriously $15 dollars for all of that and in Moscow, one of the most expensive cities to boot!!! (Unfortunately these guys seems to jokingly strand me with money that is too big to change, so I 'can't' buy anything. Imagine only having 2 $100 bills and nowhere to change them. Thankfully Vera had the small bills to pay for this and Nikita was nice enough to get Sophia a bottle of water. I did manage to buy some groceries today and got some small bills back, yeah)
This pic was from our seats. I wanted to try and give some perspective of how high Sophia was. If you look closely, you can see two triangles in the centre. Those were the tops of the apparatus and they were pulled to the top of the stage, which is the top of the photo (you can kind of see the stage lighting)!!!! I still cannot believe she did that...The colors are all the dancing fountains lit up very nicely.



No comments:
Post a Comment