Thursday, 2 December 2010

Random NYC Pictures

This year, we actually made it to Central Park.  The last time, we managed a carriage ride at dusk but nothing else.  We even took the subway halfway up Central Park and walked (and cabbed it), back to the hotel.  It really is a beautiful park and you really forget that you are in the middle of a city.
There are so many roads and pathways too, I think it would be easy to get lost here.

Lindsay and Mom underneath one of the bridges.  This year Lindsay ended up with the large FAO Schwartz bag.  Thankfully we didn't go into any revolving doors afterwards (I got stuck in one last time with my large FAO bag).
A fun looking statue near the Children's Zoo.
I loved the randomness of things in central park.  You have all different types of buildings, outbuildings and statues.  You really don't know what to expect.  I would love to go back on a warmer day and have lunch in the park.  How idyllic?
The view from a watch tower in FAO Schwartz.  See those large pink dogs?  They are on the top of a high shelf and while Lindsay was waiting to pay for her purchases, one of them fell on her. Good thing they are fairly soft:)
We headed over to Brooklyn one night for dinner and a visit with Jon (Tyson's friend that lives in NYC).  We ended up at a fabulous Thai fusion restaurant, called Sea, in Williamsburg which was recommended to us by one of the bell boys in our hotel.  The food was great and Lindsay and I had a fun time arranging the subway ride over (we both love getting around on the subway, although I'm not sure what Mom and Lynda thought of it).  Our two block walk to the restaurant from the subway station was a little sketchy so we decided to cab it from there on.  Our first cab ride, from Sea to Moto (where Jon works), was like a bucking horse the entire way.  He either hit the gas or hit the brake and managed to do it all without going over 40kph.  We even had to give him directions.  Yes, 4 foreigners telling the cabbie where to go, hmmm.  We made it with a few sore bellies from all the laughing.
This always cracks me up.  It was how we figured out we were at the right location, no thanks to the useless cabbie.  We had a nice visit with Jon, plus a couple of sticky date puddings and some Black Velvets (Guinness and sparkling wine).  There is always live music in the evenings and so it was a nice place to chill and relax.  We decided to use the car service that was next door to get us home versus taking the subway.  I'm not sure how we ended up with two drivers who really didn't know where we were going and who didn't speak.  Maybe it was just us?  This driver, literally did not say anything. Lindsay kept quizzing him about the buildings and bridges and our locations.  He either didn't understand us or didn't know, as he said nothing.  Good for Lindsay, as she kept trying to ask him questions and he kept not answering.  Eventually we got back to our hotel, but only thanks to Lindsay and I as he drove right past the street.  We finally made it back to the hotel and once again our bellies were sore from so much laughing.  It is always an adventure! (I actually have a bunch of video from our drive home but it is blurry and dark.  I was crying again from laughing when I listened to it)
The shopping bag photo.  It is a little skewed as some of them are hiding.  Overall, it was a very successful shopping trip.  We came away with some awesome purchases.  There is so much variety there that everyone can find things they like. 
We decided to grab some lunch for a typical NY deli/diner before heading back to the hotel.  The sandwiches were huge!!!!  Lynda and I shared one and I didn't even finish my half.  This is Mom's BLT.  All of that stuff in the middle is bacon, with the outer most layer of tomato and yes that is a thin little piece of bread and pickle on top.  The whole thing was the size of my finger!  I am at loss for how anyone could possible fit this thing in their mouths.  They were yummy though...

No comments: