Back in August, we finally were able to meet up with a good friend of mine from the farm/Tees days, Jamie. We haven't seen these guys since our wedding, before Jamie's oldest daughter Mikayla was born. Jamie and Terry now have two daughters, Mikayla and Mackenzie (who is the same age as Sophia). It was a fun to catch up and the girls had such a great time together.
Jamie's sister, Angie, runs a barn/stable/training place on the way out to the farm and Jamie's house. We were lucky enough to be able to pop around there and go for a little ride. I love this picture of Sophia. I am sure my parents have one of me doing the exact same thing at the farm...
Mikayla has her own pony, Target, that the girls were brushing and getting ready to ride.
Sophia has never been on a horse before and up until this time, she was usually too afraid to even get close. Here she is walking Target from the barn out to the arena.
Mikayla had her turn first to let Sophia see how it is done.
Concentrating hard...her focus reminds me of someone and no it isn't me, well, maybe...
Jamie was nice enough to saddle up another horse for me to ride, Stoney. He was probably the tallest horse I have ever been on but riding around reminded me how much I love it and have missed it.
Target was being a little bit stubborn and not wanting to go where Sophia wanted him to go. Normally kids her age would give up and walk away, but not Little Miss Stubborn (again, which one of us does she get this from...Max). She kept trying to get him to go where she wanted him and by the end of the day, she pretty much had Target doing what she wanted.
It really helped that Jamie was teaching her and since Jamie teaches kids riding anyway, Sophia got a little lesson out of it. Practicing all the tricks that I remember doing as a kid.
This one was my favorite, Around the World. You are supposed to turn and face all four directions on the horse. I think we even did it riding bareback. Sophia thought it was pretty funny to be backwards on a horse!
She liked riding so much that she even wanted a turn riding Stoney. Once she got up there, she realized how tall he really is and wanted to hop back on Target.
Even poorly dressed for riding Max had a chance to get on a horse.
Sophia walked around the arena a couple of times with Jamie before she decided she wanted to go faster and to go over the jumps. She trotted a little bit, if one of the adults was running beside her but she seemed really fascinated with jumping. Now I must clarify that jumping meant walking very slowly over the jumps. Next time I am sure I will hear her tell us she wants to go faster and higher. Hmmm, maybe horse camp next summer?
After the horses were all brushed and put back out to pasture, Mackenzie took Sophia on a walk to go see the newest edition, a baby horse that was about 5 weeks old.
I love how they walked hand in hand all the way there:)
Mackenzie, Sophia and Mikalya, still holding hands and actually stopping long enough for Max to take a picture.
Just hanging out watching the baby horse and it's Mom.
Thanks again Jamie, Terry, Mikayla and Mackenzie! We had a great time and can't wait to visit with you guys again soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment