Saturday, 1 November 2008

Halloween

I thought I would begin with a flashback to years past.
This was Sophia last year in her Lion costume. It was awesome and she seemed to like it although the trick or treating bit was a little beyond her.
Recognize anyone?
The lion is Lindsay and the cat is me, way back in 1982! My Mom used to make all of our costmes and has kept them over the years. Lindsay and I have worn all of them as well as some of our cousins and friends. It is so awesome that we can pass these on to Sophia and Sadie. I like that both Lindsay and Sophia have the same stance, about to pounce.

Now back to the present. Sophia was very excited to be a Kitty Cat. The costume was a little bit big on her but it was nice and warm (although she didn't need too much warmth since it was so nice outside).

She didn't really object to having her face painted either. I put some pink on my nose first to show her how it goes on and then she seemed to enjoy it. I think it may have been a bit itchy as the pink was worn off by the time we met up with our friends to trick or treat.

Looking like a mischevious cat, maybe from the musical "Cats."
I think she was trying to "Meow" really loud.

My parents came over for dinner and to see Sophia all dressed up (after they visited with Lindsay and Sadie in her Duck costume, I'll try to post a pic when Lindsay sends me one).

As some of you know, my Dad is an artist. Well, he works as an engineer but when we were kids he took art lessons and many of the paintings in my parents house were done my Dad. Three years ago he made Dracula for all of us. It a series of large flower pots all painted with a cape and ears (mine are missing, long story). The kids love it and surprisingly so did Sophia.


I think Sophia was trying to 'pet' the guy, before...

leaning in for a smooch:)
The last two years we have gotten together with our neighbors for the kids to all travel together. I was unsure how Sophia would react to all the costumes (since she didn't like them at dance class) but once the girls started talking to her and she realized who they were, she was fine.
And again with the parents who were brave enough to dress up...the rest of us hadn't yet finished our spiked hot chocolate so we were steering clear of the costumes...
Emma was very helpful with Sophia. She would hold her hand to help with stairs and was able to get Sophia excited about trick or treating. Once she figured out how to trick or treat, she was all over it. She ran between houses yelling 'Who-hoo!' At one point, she was the leader of the pack (mind you she was skipping houses and just running and yelling).
About halfway through a black came came to join the group. It must have thought Sophia was just like him as he was chasing her and playing with her tail. I don't think Sophia minded too much. All in all I think a good time was had by everyone.

Kaden (who is about 15 months old) was dressed as a penguin. He got a little tired so I offered him a ride in our wagon. We had to expand the straps as much as we could to get around his belly (mostly padding from the costume). We all got a kick out of him sitting there with his belly hanging out, as happy as a clam!

No comments: