Tuesday, 4 June 2013

Willkommen in München

After a 10 hour flight and just barely making our connection in Frankfurt, we have made it to Munich. Sophia as usual was a superstar on the flight and slept for about half of it!  We are so lucky that she is as good a traveller as she is, it really makes our lives that much easier...
 I never really thought much about rooms in Europe until we started booking for this trip...it is rather difficult to find hotel rooms that fit 3 people!  The Hotel Excelsior in Munich was great and had Sophia's bed all made up for her, including a pencil and pad of paper...In our previous travels to Europe, most places are definitely more accommodating with children than places in Canada or the US.
 Our first family self portrait on our way out exploring while we waited for Uncle Denis to arrive.  After walking around for a short while, both Max and I realized how much we feel at home in Europe. Despite the fact that neither of us speaks German, it seems so easy to get by here.  I must say that most of our travel wish list places seem to be in Europe.  

Both of us have a fascination with life and culture here.  Just the short 5 minute walk from our hotel to the Marienplatz, you are hit with all of your senses!  The flowers in the kiosks in the square in full bloom and in the most amazing colors, the smell of so many different types of perfume that after a minute, you can no longer tell the difference, yet somehow you know there is one, the food, the drinks, the attitude and the people.  Somehow here, people always seem to be who they really are without being looked at strangely...
 After our quick walk around the Marienplatz, we headed back to the room to change and get ready for meeting up with Denis.  I think on our one day here, we have walked past this church more than 5 times!  At least it is a great marker for us to get back to the hotel!
 After meeting up with Denis (Max's brother) we started to make our way out to the Hofbrauhaus.  I was initially a little leary of taking Sophia to a beer garden but hey, we are in Germany so it was not too difficult.  On our way there we saw a moving statue all dressed up like a flower pot.  It was the best moving statue I have even seen but I toally get why Sophia might be a little creeped out by it.
 Toasting with our 1L beers...darn that stuff was so tasty!!
 To go along with our gigantic steins of beer, we figured we would order supper which consisted of pork knuckle, potatoes and the best ever sauerkraut!!!  
 Sophia of course demolished hers fairly quickly and had to order dessert.  Good thing the whipping cream wasn't one of the whipping and dripping kind..
After leaving the Hofbraushaus around 10:30 here is how Sophia made it back to the hotel.  I cannot believe that she has only had bout 5 hours of sleep in the last 36 hours of flying and she is still smiling!!!  She ran almost the entire way back to the hotel, just to burn of some energy.   She really is like the energizer bunny, as she doesn't stop, ever, unless her batteries are removed:)

Tomorrow is the super big day, the one we have been waiting for, for the last 3-4 months!!!  I am most excited to watch Max's face when he sees and experiences our tourist spot tomorrow.  Now since it is 11:45, and I am falling asleep while typing (sorry if things don't make sense), I think it might be time to go to bed! 

Auf Wiedersehen!

No comments: